Sunday, January 3, 2021

Recent Reads: Unison-Bloomfield School "School Days"

Plaque at the former site of the Unison-Bloomfield School

Since my internship at LCPS, I have been curious about the Unison-Bloomfield School. It was a two-story school built in western Loudoun County in 1916, shared by the towns of Unison and Bloomfield. Not much was readily available about it to me, other than a passing sentence or a photo. During my internship, I never had the time to deep dive into its history. Lucky for me, local author Flora Hillman did, and wrote a lovely detailed history on Unison-Bloomfield, titled "School Days." I recommend you check it out!

Also, to spread the love around, I also want to shout out the Unison Preservation Society website. Unison is a beautiful, tiny rural village. The Battle of Unison in the American Civil War took place there. Their village has a historic district listed in the National Register of Historic Places. Check them out!

Also stop by the village of Bloomfield! They don't seem to have as active an online presence, so here's their Wikipedia page.

No comments:

Post a Comment