Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Sterling Community Center Annex - 2020 Update

Sterling Annex - 2020

[Update August 2023: This school has now been demolished. Check out Sterling Annex DEMO DAY 1]

In the year 2020, I stepped out into the pandemic wasteland to bring you photos of what the outside world looks like! The outside around the Sterling Annex building, that is. As expected, little things have changed, but nothing major. 

The grass has not been mown in a while. It is quite high.

Front door

The front door is boarded up differently again. One of the old plywood pieces lays on the ground in front of the door.

A back corner of Sterling Annex

The other back corner of Sterling Annex

Random trucks, wood, and metal is being stored behind the school. A couch has also been discarded here. 

Former playground location

When I went by the playground, I heard some rustling and briefly saw a fox running away. Sorry, fox!

My favorite door

Stagnant water is lower than I've seen it!

One of the plywood panels had been pulled off an auditorium window. I peeked in the opening to see what it looked like inside the building:

Sterling Annex Auditorium Stage

Back of Auditorium. See hole in floor between the doors.

It looks like the building continues to be broken into. It is becoming a canvas for graffiti artists. There is a hole in the floor of the auditorium, don't know if that was intentionally created or due to a leak from a hole in the roof.

Bye Bye, Sterling Annex! See you next year!

1 comment:

  1. I have wondered for decades what will become of the Sterling Annex. I drove by myself recently and took pics. I eventually searched online and, as you mentioned, your blog appeared first. It's great! I appreciate all the info and esp the pics. I attended Sterling Elementary from 1st through 6th grades, 1st-4th at the still open school in Sterling Park, and 5th-6th at the Annex. I have vivid memories of it. I remember the bus dropping us off at the west-facing side door; having lunch, gym, concerts, and assemblies all in the one big room in the back; and learning to play clarinet in a classroom with windows that faced the southeast back side of the building. The school was one long corridor, as you mentioned, with classrooms off of both sides. The office was in the middle of the corridor near the front door, which was rarely used and only by visitors. The interior was old but beautiful, with the original brown wood, very high ceilings, and unique transoms over the doors. Classmates back then, being young and silly, liked to joke that the building was condemned and had bats in the attic. I would love to see the bones of the building saved. Thanks for your blog and the updates!

    ReplyDelete